The Horizon2020 SMART-Plant EU Innovation Action (ESPP member) along with the ESPP, HERA and ECOMONDO will co-organise the 3rd European Nutrient Event for the Mediterranean area, at 8-9 November 2018, in Rimini, Italy.
This 3rd edition in Rimini, Italy, will be a follow up of the previous R&D events in Berlin (2015) and Basel (2017) and will focus on phosphorus and nutrient recycling and management in Italy, the Mediterranean region and in EU research, development and innovation.
Ecomondo Scientific Technical Committee, European Sustainable Phosphorus Platform (ESPP), Piattaforma Italiana del Fosforo, Piattaforma Tedesca del Fosforo, HERA, Università Politecnica delle Marche, Utilitalia, Confagricoltura, Assofertilizzanti
Phosphorus is a critical raw material, non-renewable resource, non-substitutable for food production, essential for agriculture and directly linked to food security, as well as being important in a range of other industrial and technical uses. Europe is severely dependent on extra-EU mines and the most important use of imported phosphorus in Europe is for mineral fertilizers. On the one hand, recovery from municipal wastewater (sewage sludge), animal manure and other biowaste sources can cover most of the EU demand. On the other hand, inefficient use of phosphorus causes environmental damage. At EU level the European Sustainable Phosphorus Platform and several member states are promoting and regulating phosphorus recovery from municipal wastewater and other waste and residue biomass flows. In Italy the recently founded phosphorus platform is boosting national policies and regulations to promote sustainable management of this critical raw material. This strategic action will therefore present and discuss the EU framework and the actions in place in Italy for sustainable phosphorus management.
- Francesco Fatone (ECOMONDO CTS and SMART-Plant Coordinator)
- Ludwig Hermann (European Sustainable Phosphorus Platform)
- Alberto Zolezzi, Massimo De Rosa, Promoters of the Italian Phosphorus Platform
- Claudio Anzalone, HERA Group
DAY 1, 08 November 2018, h. 10:00-18:00, Neri 2 Room South Hall
Welcome to ECOMONDO: the Euro-Mediterranean platform of circular econmy
- Registration & Welcome Coffee;
- Opening Plenary – STATE OF THE ART AND REGULATORY FRAMEWORK;
- PHOSPHORUS RECOVERY TECHNOLOGIES;
- NUTRIENTS RECYCLING and WATER REUSE: SUCCESS STORIES AND ACTION PLAN;
- Panel discussion about perspectives and actions, Q&A and conclusions, Poster Session and drinks
DAY 2, 09 November 2018
The second day will focus on nutrient recycling and stewardship research, development and innovation (R&D&I)
- and will:
- Bring together European, national and company funded nutrient research projects identify synergies and share results;
- Present (Mediterranean) R&D research activities focused on combined water reuse and nutrient recycling;
- Networking of leading nutrient recycling projects across Europe with technology suppliers and users;
- Present European Commission perspectives on R&D&I;
- Discuss the research needs for nutrient sustainability in the new EU research framework programme 9 (FP9, Horizon Europe), within the five societal challenges and/or a possible Mission on nutrients.
Targeted stakeholders: researchers, R&D projects and institutes, company R&D department representatives, European Commission EASME, DG RTD, DG AGRI, and DG EV, EIP AGRI, EIP WATER, EIT Raw Materials, funding bodies HORIZON2020, LIFE, INTERREG, SME INSTRUMENT.
Posters: nutrient related R&D projects can display posters during Day 1, networking drinks (after Day 1, 17h30 – 18h30) and throughout Day 2.