EU-Malaysia Biomass Sustainable Production Initiative
The EU-Malaysia Biomass Sustainable Production Initiative (Biomass-SP) is a development cooperation project funded by the European Union (EU) under the SWITCH-Asia Programme, and jointly promoted by the Malaysian Industry-Government Group for High Technology (MIGHT), the Association for Environmental Consultants and Companies of Malaysia (AECCOM), the European Biomass Industry Association (EUBIA), and the Danish Technological Institute (DTI).
BIOMASS-SP brings together small and medium enterprises (SMEs) involved in biomass supply chain, government agencies, research institutions and universities (RIUs) and financial institutions that are involved in promoting biomass industry, as well as environmental business intermediaries in an enabling and knowledge-intensive project BIOMASS-SP aimed to develop the biomass industry in Malaysia based on the principles of sustainable consumption and production (SCP).
In general, SCP practices involve concerted effort of business, government, communities and household in enhancing environmental quality through efficient production and use of natural resources, waste minimization and recycling, and design of environmentally-friendly products and services. Sustainable production emphasizes improving environmental performance in the supply sector such as agriculture, energy, industry, tourism and transport. On the other hand, sustainable consumption addresses the demand side, looking at how consumers can create their demands of goods and services in a way that improve environmental quality.
Over the next four years, BIOMASS-SP aims to develop the biomass industry in Malaysia by enhancing the uptake of biomass utilization between Malaysian SMEs as well as major biomass owners (such as palm oil mill and sawmill owners etc) through collaboration between industries (EU-Malaysia) and RIUs.
In order to achieve this, BIOMASS-SP will organize a series of capacity building programmes, workshops, and direct coaching programmes for SMEs to encourage implementation of sustainable production (SP) models by focusing on the following key areas:
- The implementation of Environmental Management System (EMS)
- Facilitation of greenhouse gas emission projects through Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) or Voluntary Carbon Standard (VCS) schemes.
- Measurement of carbon footprint and Eco-labeling certification
- To develop Malaysia family-owned SMEs to implement sustainable production (SP) models in the biomass industry for achieving economic growth, social well being and address the issues of industrial pollution.
- To improve biomass supply chain in Malaysia by promoting collaboration between the industry (EU-Malaysia), research institutions and universities (RIUs) to address inconsistent biomass supply issues in Malaysia and unlock its wealth creation potential.
- To reduce industrial emissions by improving production process of biomass commercialization project and contributes to global climate change mitigation effort.
- To create the enabling environment for improving policy cohesiveness which are fragmented currently for developing the SP of biomass industry